Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cameraless Filmmaking

I had never really considered the idea of cameraless filmmaking as a viable form of cinema before this class. Yes, I had seen examples from films such films as Mothlight and others, but the practice never held any interest for me. I found the process to be very artistic, but too abstract and too "hobby shop" for me to take it seriously. However, upon actually practicing cameraless filmmaking, I have been pleasantly surprised by how creative, intensive, and liberating the process has been.

I have found magazine transfers to be the most enjoyable as they allow for a lot of diversity in the film depending upon what the image is of and how it's cut and placed on the clear leader. Painting on film with ink is probably the most accessible to first timers as it almost always looks good and most anyone can paint. Still, the use of olive oil with the ink allows for some very interesting designs for people who know what thry're doing. Using bleach to alter the film was also an interesting way to effect film and the process produced beautiful shades of blue. I probably would have enjoyed the rayograms and contact photos had the developer not been so concentrated. As for the process of scratching and distressing film, there is a certain value to giving an old piece of film new life via scratching new images onto it.

Although the project has been a little hectic, and the theme a little vague, I look forward to doing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment